Carlo: I agreed to boss Chelsea 2 months ago

CARLO ANCELOTTI has blown the lid on his secret meetings with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

The AC Milan chief revealed he held TWO clandestine meetings with Abramovich last year.

He admits he agreed to become Blues boss two months ago even though he has yet to sign a contract and hints he may STILL yet stay in Italy.

He also reveals how Abramovich says his side have 'no personality' and dreams of becoming like Manchester United, Liverpool or Milan.

The revelations will be hugely embarrassing for Russian billionaire Ambramovich, who fiercely guards his privacy. In his book Preferisco La Coppa, Ancelotti said: "The manager of Milan is on a secret mission. I am on my own like 007. Sat behind a driver with the face of a killer.

"I'm already in Paris going to Roman Abramovich, the owner of Chelsea - who's looking for a new manager.

"We've already seen each other once, a couple of weeks ago. In Switzerland, in a big hotel in Geneva. I don't remember the name.

"Everything was organised by Charlie Stillitano, a friend from the US who works in football. He knows Peter Kenyon, the executive hand of Abramovich at Chelsea, who has expressed the wish to meet me.

"I was on holiday relaxing after the bitterness of failing to qualify for the Champions League with Milan.

"Abramovich came after me, it's a good sign but how many bodyguards!

"They are the ones who accompanied me to the Big Chief and to Kenyon. Their team was completed by a lawyer and an interpreter.

"We sat down and greeted each other cordially and started to talk. Always about football and only football. Abramovich wanted to know everything about me, my way of working, my philosophy. He was and is still looking for a team with a precise identity: 'Like Manchester United, Liverpool, Milan, certainly not like my Chelsea.'

"While he was talking, my curiosity perked up. He wasn't the monster that papers painted him to be.

"The first thing I noticed was his timidity. The second his great knowledge of football. The third his hunger, his bulimia: 'Dear Ancelotti, I want to win everything. Everything.'

"An hour flew by during which we never talked about money."

Ancelotti also recalls how he bumped into Roma boss Luciano Spalletti before the Paris meeting, even though he does not mention him by name. Ancelotti said: "So here we are. The George V in Paris. Me and Abramovich, Act Two.

"Yesterday, a few minutes away from here, Massimo Moratti met Jose Mourinho. I didn't want to have the same end. The road is free, nobody suspicious, I can enter.

"I bump into a dear colleague and friend. I laugh. 'What are you doing here?' 'No, what are you doing?' I laugh again.

"I feel like I'm in a supermarket. Everyone here to talk to this chairman, and maybe we're on his shopping list.

"I go to meet him one floor up. He's waiting in a conference room and has the same people he had in Geneva around the table. I immediately make one thing clear. 'I have a contract with Milan. An eventual agreement with Chelsea can only happen if Milan is also in agreement.'

"Again we only talked football. How would I make Chelsea play in case they got me as a manager.

"President, your team is very physical, you have to put more quality in the middle of the pitch. I gave him two names, Franck Ribery and Xabi Alonso.

"He thought of a third name, that of Andriy Shevchenko, who was close to his heart. 'I can't understand why he's not playing, because since we brought him to England he's not the real Sheva.'

"President, I can't know the reason. We talk some more. I can easily chat with Abramovich. He doesn't make me feel uncomfortable, not even when he says with a low voice: 'We've just lost the Champions League final, and the league, I can't be satisfied.

'Chelsea don't have a personality. I have the ambition of winning every competition in which my team takes part, a team that at the moment I don't recognise.'

"He thinks so much about the results and the beautiful game. Another 40 minutes fly by. 'Thanks Ancelotti, we'll meet again.' No financial offer."

Ancelotti admits he has been taking English lessons for months to prepare himself for taking charge at Stamford Bridge.

But when asked whether he would be in Milan or London next season, he just smiled and said: "It depends."

No comments: