Drogba criticised in Uefa report

Uefa delegate condemns striker actions while reveals object probe

Uefa delegate Janis Mezeckis has confirmed the behaviour of Chelsea striker Didier Drogba was included in his report of Wednesday's UEFA Champions League match at Stamford Bridge.

Barcelona's progress to the final on away goals was marred after a number of Blues players, including Drogba, Michael Ballack and John Terry, confronted referee Tom Henning Ovrebo over his decisions during the game.

Uefa announced on Friday that Chelsea will discover next week if any of their players will face action in the wake of the controversial scenes.

And now Mezeckis has condemned the behaviour, claiming that he saw two objects thrown onto the pitch while singling out Drogba, who has since apologised for his actions, for criticism.

The Latvian said in the Daily Mirror: "The first thing I mentioned in my report was the behaviour of Drogba. What he did after the game, to the referee and one of the assistants, was not correct.

"I also wrote about the two missiles I saw thrown on to the pitch. I thought they were bottles. This is not acceptable."

Of Ovrebo's much-maligned performance, Mezeckis added: "It is not my job to talk about the referee or evaluate his performance. My job is simply to write about the behaviour I witnessed.

No comments: